TL;DR — Here’s a quick explainer of how your personal data may be processed when you visit this website and access any associated products.
Last updated July 31, 2022
The internet can be a big, scary place, with the dark web and black markets for your personal information. So, yeah, let’s just say that your data privacy is a priority to me. In this policy, you’ll learn: what data is collected and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data. I promise to never sell your data!
This policy applies to the RAMPANTASIAN website (referred to as “Website”) and any associated products (“Products”) such as the RAMPANTASIAN newsletter.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to this Policy or any other data protection issue related to RAMPANTASIAN and its associated Products.
Data collected and tools used
The data I collect on the Website is limited to user behavior on the Website, which is used to inform the creation of new content and the updating of existing content on the Website to improve the user experience.
The user behavior data collected includes:
- Duration of visit
- Content viewed
The data I collect from users for Products includes:
- Email address
I do not use any first-party cookies to store data.
However, at any time you can adjust cookie retention settings in your own browser. To learn more about cookies, including how to view which cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
Google Analytics 4 (GA4)
In addition to the user behavior data mentioned previously, this Website uses the User ID functions of GA4 in order to be able to track interaction data. The User ID is anonymized and encrypted and is not linked to other data.
Additional information on Google Analytics:
Google Tag Manager
I use Substack to maintain a newsletter (a Product of RAMPANTASIAN), which means users who opt-in are providing me with their email address to receive regular communication from me via Substack’s email services.
When you email or otherwise communicate with me with a question, comment, or request, I keep that correspondence, including the email address, so that I have a history of past correspondences to reference if you reach out in the future.
I also store any information you volunteer like surveys. Sometimes when I do customer interviews, I may ask for your permission to record the conversation for future reference or use. I only do so if you give your express consent.
Your right to opt-out
From Google Analytics
You can also adjust cookie retention settings in your own browser. To learn more about cookies, including how to view which cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
Data and information I do not collect
To the best of my knowledge, I do not collect any “Personal information” via the Website, including and not limited to:
- First & last names
- IP addresses
- Cookie identifiers
- Genetic information
- Biometric information
I also don’t collect any characteristics of protected classifications including:
- Political opinions
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Physical and mental abilities or disabilities.
You may provide these data voluntarily, such as if you include a pronoun preference in your email signature when writing to me.
When I access or share your information
My default practice is to not access your information. The only times I’ll ever access or share your info is:
To provide products you’ve requested. I do use some third-party services to run some Products, like Substack for the newsletter, and only to the extent necessary process some or all of your personal information via these third parties.
I do not ever plan to sell your information.
Your rights with respect to your information
I apply the same user data rights regardless of location. Currently some of the most privacy-forward regulations in place are the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) in the US. I recognize all of the rights granted in these regulations, except as limited by applicable law. These rights include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information gathered about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To be Forgotten”. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from my possession and, by extension, all of my service providers.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding my handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority. To identify your specific authority or find out more about this right, EU individuals should go to https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of sale of personal information. (I never have and never will sell your personal data.)
- Right to Object. You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. You have the right to receive the personal information I have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and me, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. This right stems from the CCPA. I do not and will not charge you a different amount to use my products, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights (such as the right “to be forgotten”) may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using my Services.
If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact me at email@example.com. In data deletion requests (notably for Products), I may require confirmation of at least two pieces of information to process the request, such as Name and Email Address.
If you are in the EU, you can identify your specific authority to file a complaint or find out more about GDPR, at https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
Changes & questions
I may update this Policy as needed to comply with relevant regulations and reflect any new practices. I will log any changes to this Policy below for full transparency. Whenever I make a significant change to this Policies, I’ll also announce them on the Website.